Saturday 13 February 2016

Half Term Treats

Hello there,

Isn't is lovely to feel Spring on it's way? Cold, frosty nights followed by bright, clear days, I love them. This week has been half term here so today I'd like to share some half term treats with you. It's been a little strange this year as the schools are off at different times so it was unusually quiet around here as the kids in this area have just started their half term today.

My first treat was hooking up some of these sweet little hearts for no other reason than they are so pretty, though I can use them to decorate the house as a nod to Valentine's Day too.



This is from a pattern in one of my favourite crochet books, 75 Lace Crochet Motifs and I used size 10 crochet cotton with a 2mm hook. If you fancy making some hearts too there are lots of gorgeous patterns about. I like this one which I think would be pretty worked in pink instead of red.


My second treat was this magazine, I couldn't resist the cheerful cover of primroses and the article on the gorgeous crocheted blankets by Amanda Perkins "Capturing a rainbow in wool".



I love the bright colours and Spring beauty running through the pages. If you haven't seen this magazine before it has articles about nature, the British countryside and crafts as well as food, just about everything I love. I enjoyed flicking through it while enjoying my next treat with a mug of tea.
 


Stem ginger biscuits. I used a shortbread recipe and added finely chopped preserved stem ginger. Making these little biscuits is almost too easy. We really like ginger so I used quite a bit in the biscuits. This is my recipe if you would like to try them.

175g plain flour
115g butter
60g caster sugar
2 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
Extra sugar to sprinkle

Sieve flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Cube the butter and rub it into the flour and sugar to form a dough. Add in the chopped ginger., roll it out and then cut out rounds. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake until firm and lightly coloured, about 30 mins. Transfer to a cooling rack, sprinkle with sugar and store in an air tight tin, if they don't all disappear before they are cold that is!
 
Unfortunately our planned half term trip to Perthshire was cancelled when N came home with a nasty virus last weekend. After a couple of days of staying in bed (for him) and lots of exercise running up and down the stairs fetching drinks etc (for me), he was better in time for the sun coming out so we managed some time pottering in the garden in the sunshine which was lovely, I really appreciate the happiness in these moments of simple pleasure. The garden is really too waterlogged to do much so we contented ourselves with a tidy up before it got too cold again. There have been more bright days this week which have made it a joy to potter about and spend time crafting in good light. I've done more of my cross-stitch project and sticking to a theme of small projects here is a little peek of my newest project. Can you guess what I'm making from this small piece?




Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while might recognise this yarn, it's the same one I used for the tunic I was making last year. I got all the way to the end then decided I didn't like it on me and unravelled it, making for hours of frogging. Do you ever finish something then change your mind and rip it all out again or it that just me?

I hope there are lovely Spring/Autumn days and holidays to enjoy where you are too.

Til next time,

Hx







12 comments:

  1. Hi I've just found your blog.
    How delightful it is I love your colours.
    It cheers up a miserable winter day .
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely little heart. And the magazine looks very interesting. Haven't heard of it before. Sorry to hear your trip had to be cancelled but sometimes staying home and enjoying these simple pleasures is equally enjoyable (minus the illness of N, of course :) Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your crochet heart and those ginger biscuits look wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely crochet heart for Valentine's day. I also buy that magazine and am waiting for the Jan/Feb issue to arrive here in Oz. Think I may borrow that recipe for the shortbread as I adore ginger and only today made a ginger cake. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Helen,
    I love this red crochet heart!
    It is so nice that Spring is just around the corner and we will spend more time in the gardens and in the country.
    Greetings from Greece.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen, thanks for saying hello on my blog! It was funny to come to your blog and read this post because I had just been contemplating myself whether to frog a piece of (unfinished) crochet. I hope you don't mind, but I gave you and this post of yours a mention my blog - it will publish on the 18 February ("A Secret Crochet Confession" on lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au )
    In answer to your question above: yes, I DO frog things provided the yarn is amenable. Isn't there a group somewhere that offers to help people untangle their yarn? I wonder if they have a frogging service as well - now there's a niche business idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jodie, I don't think I'd have the patience for that particular business opportunity but it would be nice if someone else did. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crafting, magazines and tea with biscuits. Heaven. Big sigh.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post! I hope N is feeling much better now. The hearts are so cute and I'm looking forward to seeing what your crochet becomes! Thanks for sharing the recipe for the stem ginger biscuits, C will love those!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Helen, N is much better now. Hope you like the biscuits. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late here but this crochet heart made me happy!
    Greetings
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore all of ginger cookies! Yours look really attractive and easy to cook. I'll try to cook your recipe of ginger biscuits with pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment, I love to read them all and will reply to any questions as soon as I can.